Fantasy Football Focus...WRs
by Mark Neal
posted Aug 15 2013 12:00AM
Today on Dayton Sports Scene, we will have the 3rd installment of the Fantasy Football Focus presented by Buffalo Wild Wings! For 5 straight weeks, I will do position breakdowns at 5:45p on Thursdays getting you ready for your Fantasy Draft! I went over Running backs last week, today it's WRs...here were my top 8, plus 2 to remember.
1. Calvin Johnson...Megatron is seen as #1 on most people's Draft Board at the position. He is possibly the best physical specimen at Wide Receiver ever, and has the stats to match. Johnson broke Jerry Rice's record last season for receiving yards in a single season by racking up 1964 yards. He was also the most targeted receiver in the league last season, which is most of the battle in Fantasy. If you are looking for a reason not to take him, he did score just 5 TDs in 2012. Think that number will be that low this year, though?
2. Dez Bryant...Once again, I'm expecting some "homer" chats thrown my way, but he showed last season that, at times, he can be uncoverable. We always knew he had the talent, just not the composure...well he seems more composed now. Tony Romo is a gunslinger, and primed for a huge season with Bryant as his top target. The targets should go up, and so could his NFL leading 12 receiving TDs.
3. AJ Green...Stud, star, All-Pro...all ways you can describe Green as a WR in the NFL. He has solid hands, runs crisp routes, and is smart at the position, all you can ask for. Andy Dalton should improve, but like many other star NFL WRs, is still looking for that WR opposite him. If no one emerges, look for more double teams than he already gets. Any way you slice it, Green is a star and worthy of a high Fantasy pick.
4. Brandon Marshall...He has shown that he and Cutler know 100 catch seasons. Whether we are in Denver or Chicago, those two always seem to be on the same page. Marshall gets the targets, 194 in all, tied for 2nd most in the NFL. You can't score in Fantasy, as a WR, without the ball thrown your way...he gets it, and gets it often. This may be too low for Marshall.
5. Julio Jones...Despite the fact he has both Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez bobbling up many Fantasy opportunites, Jones is a beast. His TDs per target ratio is among the best, and he is great inside the Red Zone. The Falcons do like to power it in on the ground from inside the 5, but if they throw it down there, I expect the former Alabama star to get the looks.
6. Reggie Cobb...Too high for Cobb, maybe, but someone has to catch the ball in Green Bay. As if they are going to throw it less, especially with a beat up Offensive Line? Aaron Rodgers loves to put the ball up, and loves making good receivers into great receivers. While Others, like Jordy Nelson, will get Rodgers attention, in my opinion it will be Cobb that becomes his next #1 target.
7. Wes Welker...You could go with Demaryius Thomas here, heck maybe even Eric Decker, but I think it's Wleker that Peyton uses the most this season. The pass rush will be on against Denver to get to Peyton, so the underneath route could be there for the taking. Welker may be a Tom Brady creation, but Manning can do that same game too. Welker and Peyton bond like he did with Brady. Plus, you know they all want to stick it right to the Patriots, a big year for Welker is one way.
8. Larry Fitzgerald...I believe in Larry. Carson Palmer is now in town, and if he is healthy, he can throw, and he will throw Fitz's way. Larry still has gas in that tank, but he and the Cardinals just haven't been the same since Kurt Warner left town. 2013, in my opinion, is Fitzgerald's comeback year! The Stones did it, multiple times, so can Larry Fitzgerald!
Player to remember: Jordy Nelson...He may go low in your Fantasy Draft, but who thinks he won't get big numbers if he stays healthy? They trow it a lot up there, and Rodgers finds Nelson. Go get Jordy
Sleeper Pick: Tavon Austin...Maybe not a huge sleeper, but rookie WRs rarely have great seasons. Bradford has to show something this year, and so might Jeff Fisher. I think the Rams will put the ball up, and when they do, Bradford will be looking for the speedster out of Morgantown. Austin could go for 1000+ yards because someone on that team will, might as well be him.
Filed Under :
Aaron Rodgers, Andy Dalton, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Carson Palmer, Eric Decker, Jeff Fisher, Jerry Rice, Jordy Nelson, Julio Jones, Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, Reggie Cobb, Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez, Tony Romo, Wes Welker