Fantasy Football Focus...TES
by Mark Neal
posted Aug 22 2013 12:00AM
Today on Dayton Sports Scene, we will have the 4th installment of the Fantasy Football Focus presented by Buffalo Wild Wings! For 5 straight weeks, I will do position breakdowns at 5:45p on Thursdays getting you ready for your Fantasy Draft! I went over Wide Receivers last week, today it's TEs...here were my top 8, plus 2 to remember.
1. Jimmy Graham... Graham is a talent, and has the good fortune of playing in a productive pass offense. Drew Brees has been able to find him in the past, his 135 targets were 2nd most of any TE in 2012, and should find him this season. Look for a big year out of Graham once again.
2. Tony Gonzalez...He was supposed to be retired, but arguably the greatest Tight End in NFL history returns for one more year, or so he says? Gonzalez, was and still is a physical freak. He is still able to be a down field factor of sorts, plus can get those TDs in the Red Zone with his size. Matt Ryan has Julio Jones and Roddy White to get the ball to as well, but he won't forget the future HOFer.
3. Vernon Davis...Didn't have knockout stats in 2012, but another year with Kaepernick, and that should improve. He is a physical force that can run you over or run past you. His yards and 5 TDs aren't exciting, but I feel Davis breaks thruogh some in 2013.
4. Jason Witten...He gets older, but stays productive for America's Team. His best buddy, Tony Romo, makes sure he feeds his right hand man with plenty of looks, a TE league leading 147 targets in 2012. He hauled in 110 of those passes, but only made it into the end zone 3 times...not a good ratio. With the emergence of Dez Bryant, his looks may go down, but not too much.
5. Rob Gronkowski...This is the hardest part of this list, where to put Gronk? If healthy, he is the best or 2nd TE on most boards, and rightfully so. Gronk can do it all, and Tom Brady finds him. Injuries will cost him games early in the season, and with Aaron Hernandez behind bars, he will get more attention. When he returns, he will be productive. Question is, and always will be, can he remain healthy?
6. Kyle Rudolph...He attempts to overcome his incredibly pedestrian QB, Christian Ponder, and usually does a solid job. Rudolph had 9 TDs last season, only Gronk had more from the position. The Vikings didn't exactly solve all of their WR issues in the off season, so Rudy will get his looks...even if they are from Ponder.
7. Jared Cook...High for Cook, maybe, but he is incredibly fast, and with the Rams now, more likely to see the ball in the air. I've contended in previous weeks that the Rams are gonna throw plenty in 2013, Cook will benefit greatly.
8. Brandon Pettigrew...I've always liked Pettigrew, and so has Matt Stafford. He threw to him 102 times, but only 59 were caught, and for only 3 TDs. Half the battle in Fantasy is getting the ball thrown your player's way, he gets the ball...if he catches it in 2013, look out!
Player to remember: Martellus Bennett...Now a Bear, Bennett can get a solid, fresh start. He spun his wheels in Dallas behind Witten and a coaching staff that didn't know what to do with him. He broke out some with the Giants, but now he is with Jay Cutler in Chicago. He can't miss Bennett's massive frame across the middle, if throws go his way, he could have a major impact.
Sleeper pick: Jordan Cameron...Great athlete that has improved all around. Weeden has thrown his way in the preseason, if that carries over to the regular season, we could see great stats from Cameron, and a real TE option in Cleveland.
Filed Under :
Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Pettigrew, Christian Ponder, Drew Brees, Jared Cook, Jason Witten, Jay Cutler, Jimmy Graham, Jordan Cameron, Julio Jones, Kyle Rudolph, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Rob Gronkowski, Roddy White, Tom Brady, Tony Gonzalez, Tony Romo, Vernon Davis