I am the Program Director at 1410 WING ESPN Radio in Dayton, Ohio...also host of Dayton Sports Scene weekdays at 5p! Find me on Twitter @ESPNMark!
NFC Power Rankings through Week 11
by Mark Neal,posted Nov 21 2011 3:02PM
Since I did my AFC Power Rankings last week, here are my NFC Power Rankings through Week 11...
1. Green Bay Packers (10-0) The obvious choice as #1. With possible MVP Aaron Rodgers playing at the highest of levels, the Packers offense is nearly impossible to stop. The lone downfall could eventually be a defense that ranks 31st against the pass and has allowed points all season. Still the top team in the NFC and the top team in the NFL...easily the team to beat.
2. San Francisco 49ers (9-1) The surprise of the 2011 season is proving to be legit. Quality wins over Cincinnati, Detroit, and the NY Giants highlight the schedule. One overtime loss to Top 5 team Dallas is the only blemish on Jim Harbaugh's early NFL coaching resume. The lack of a play making Quarterback, or a rash of injuries to the offense would be possible roadblocks for the 49ers.
3. New Orleans Saints (7-3) A team that can look great and look average. Great offense, middle of the pack defense. Good wins over Chicago, Houston, and Atlanta show the good side...bad losses to Tampa Bay and St. Louis show the average. As long as Drew Brees is healthy, they can score. The teams sketchy running game, or a bad day by their average defense could eventually spell the end for the Saints come playoff time.
4. Detroit Lions (7-3) Hard to believe, but the Lions are for real. They can score, and they have pieces on the defense. Whether 2011 is their year or not, remains to be seen. Good wins over Dallas and Chicago headline things for the Lions. All 3 losses, San Francisco, Atlanta, and Chicago... you can live with as well. The annual injury to Quarterback Matt Stafford, the team's inability to run the ball on offense, or their poor run defense could spell the end for the Motor City Kitties. 2012 is more their year anyway, right?
5. Dallas Cowboys (6-4) If you arent onboard with the Cowboys in 2011, you need to be very soon. They are winners of 4 of their last 5, and are beginning to get healthy. Tony Romo keeps showing why he belongs among the elite Quarterbacks in the NFL. The Cowboys are the only team to beat San Francisco in 2011, but that is the best win so far. Losses to Detroit, New England, and Philly you can live with if you are Dallas. Balance on offense and defense drives the Cowboys, but the inconsistancy of the team week to week is the biggest weakness for America's Team.
Netjets flew Meyer up on Thursday.- Deal done. 7 years - 40 million- Luke fickell retained as Asst. Head Coach - in fact he was involved in recruiting Meyer- Greg Studwara - Offensive Coordinator - BGSU connection, currently OLine coach LSU- DJ Durkin - Defensive Coordinator - FL LB Coach- Zach Smith - WR Coach - G.A. FL - WR Coach Temple (Earle Bruce grandson)- Mickey Marotti - Dir Football Ops - Strength coach FL- Stan Drayton - retained by OSU - moves from WRs back to RB coach - RB coach FLJob opening will be posted Monday/Tuesday as per State/Federal regulations - announcement Week from Tuesday @ OSU v. Duke